These are all fun games in their own respect, but they can become too long lived, and (shudder) too mainstream. [No pun intended about nerds and candy].
Why mainstream is bad
Mainstream is bad, but not just bad as in an apple can be bad or good, but bad as in the bully that punched you because he didn't like the way you walked. Mainstream media is all those who do not have strange tendencies, who are not proud of their individuality, and who attempt to blend in to common culture. Aka, they are everyone other than Nerds and Geeks. But they aren't merely content to ignore us, no, they ridicule us at every step. Shows like Chuck and Big Bang Theory patronize us with their imitations of nerds (Laptop+tie=/=nerd!). In children's tv shows, they promote nerds as simple, annoying folk (this is partially true) that should be ostracized, or worse, beaten, insulted, and trodden upon. The public defacing of the nerd is everywhere.
What Nerds have brought us
Nerds have advanced technology (hey, its what we do) more than any other group (scientists are nerds, DUH!). We have been using staples of mainstream culture for decades (interwebs anyone? VoIP (aka Teamspeak), forums and messageboards, the list goes on), and continue to use these, albeit in more advanced methods. Gamers have seen the ideas of Text chat, Voice chat, matchmaking, moderation, distributed computing, and many other technologies, long before they become common place. Social networking, the front for oh so many mainstream teenagers, is an old hat to geeks.
Why WoW, Guitar Hero, Rockband, and DDR (even some wii games) are not nerd candy
These games are party games, and encourage people to interact with one another, and find out about each other. This is completely counter to the nerd code of conduct (see below). They make use of obscure control systems, and make the sacred ground of gaming open to those to whom we detest so, the mainstream, the people who have so patronized and defiled us for generatia. WoW encourages players to interact with others over a long period of time, Guitar Hero and Rockband ask us to put down the oh so lovely 360 controller in favor of a plastic music wannabe. They ask us to invite the neighbors over and stand up while playing (Another breach of the CoC), and get acquainted with each other! DDR is in the same boat as guitar hero. Finally, the WII invites leagues of the mainstream to trod upon our holy ground, the game console, defiling it with their filthy digital footsteps, to which they have no comprehension. Party-games (should be a swear word in itself) like wiisports and warioware act as portals for these people, bringing them in by the buttload.
Don't Be isolated
However, do not isolate yourself completely. Gamers cannot live an isolated life, hence the invention of our most holy practices, a lan party. A lan party is an event in which large groups of gamers (the only other times you will see similar herds is at release dates of big games/movies/devices or at convention centers) gather to exchange a few short words, and blast each other's heads off. It is a chance for us to bring our toys out of the closet, and force some console envy from others ("Damn you! Damn you and your black Xbox360!" is one I recently overheard), a chance to see the person on the other side when you no-scope them across Valhalla.
How can we stem this tide? Fight back! Don't buy that Wii, buy 2 copies of Halo 3 (or a Legendary copy and a copy of Bioshock!). Don't ever taste the fruit of Wow, it is rumored to be one injection, and you are hooked for life! (Call your local WoW Anonymous center for details). Stay away from Guitar Hero 3 and similar games, you just don't want to be around the people to whom it attracts. While it may seem as if you are missing out, you are actually preserving your soul, and will live a longer, and happier life because of it. Also, do not go to events where you know such activities are being held, for that is as bad as hosting one.
Nerd Code of conduct
- Never do anything remotely mainstream
- Don't ever do anything that could be considered mainstream. Don't read the newspaper, or watch the news, get it online (sadly this is becoming mainstream too). Don't read movie reviews published by companies not approved by the general nerd populus. If anything, ask your other nerd friends over xbox live what is a good move, and what is not. If you set up a social networking page, be sure to populate it with boatloads of nerd candy, such as the Facebook halo 3 application, Facebook Xbox live application, etc.
- Don't pry into other people
- Don't ask questions about other people. If they don't tell you, or it isnt on their profile, don't ask. You may hear it from them, but you may NEVER ask for such information.
- Never stand up while gaming
- This is the first step to mainstream. The next steps are even worse. Exercise games and games hooked to exercise bikes. While consoles such as the Wii may encourage it for some games, with practice, simple flicks of the wrist will prove to be sufficient, and if they aren't such, then the game is not nerd friendly.
- Don't be an ass
- This is one most people have problems with. It is so easy to jump on some other poor nerds foolish blunder, and beriddle them into the ground, but this is demoralizing, and it may cause them to abandon the nerd herd in favor of some other group. When someone is wrong, kindly point this out to them, and if they insist they are right, research facts. If they continue to be wrong, but insist they speak the truth, then you may become an ass. You may always be an ass if you are a moderator or administrator of the medium said conversation takes place in, but try to keep it to a minimum, lest ye loose your position, or people abandon your medium.
- Don't act without anonymity.
- If someone is an ass beyond all recognition, don't let them know. Informing them of their behavior just reinforces the way they act. Instead, mute them, ignore them, and give them a negative rating (if it is anonymous)
With your help, the nerd herd will remain strong.
This is intended as a piece of humor, and was fueled by lack of sleep. Enjoy